Browser Navigationby Paul Jansen
BrowserNav adds web browser like layout navigation history and requires a single script, one custom function (Optional) and back and forward buttons. Once the script and custom function have been added to your file, just paste the back and forward buttons onto each layout you wish to include in the navigation history and you’re done. This module has been designed to be really easy to retrofit to existing solutions; deciding where to put the buttons on your layouts will probably be the most difficult part of the implementation!
There are now three versions:
- BrowserNav 7 for FileMaker 16+ (August 2018) incorporates the following changes:
- Rewritten to use the new native JSON functions, BrowserNav now uses only a single global variable.
- The actual navigation now uses Layout ID rather than Layout Name to avoid issues when multiple layouts have the same name.
- Both single and multiple windows are supported, the latter with either individual or shared history.
- A completely new UI
- BrowserNav Multiple Windows obviously added support for multiple windows for FileMaker pre version 16.
- BrowserNav Single Windows is the original version for FileMaker pre version 16
All versions now have the option to turn off the saving of layouts to the history; this gives more control when running scripted processes that may move through several layouts.
To upgrade to BrowserNav for FileMaker 16, just replace the contents of the custom functions: BrowserNav.SaveNavHistory and BrowserNav.Tooltip.
- Very easy to retrofit to existing solutions
- Works with scripted and native layout navigation
- Back and forward buttons show tooltip of destination layout
- Button arrows grey if no-where to go
- History ignores layouts with no back and forward buttons (scripts going to developer layouts for example)
- Toggle history saving with a global variable
- No duplicate entries if the layout refreshed
- Separate button and button text layout objects for easy customisation
- Central customisation of Tooltips
- Now uses layout IDs to allow for renaming and reordering of layouts (v7 Aug 2018)
- New UI using styles and button bars for a more modern look (v7 Aug 2018)
None. I encourage you to use the version with the custom functions unless you do not have access to FileMaker Pro Advanced. This allows the save history function and tooltips the be easily modified in one place even if the solution has a large number of layouts with the navigation buttons. The latest change is a great example of this. Adding the ability to toggle the saving of layouts requires only a change to the ‘Save’ custom function regardless of how many layouts the navigation has been added to.
The link to download the latest versions is….
I do hope it’s useful.
I was planning to add the option to include the the ability to return to the most recently viewed record with each entry in the history. I have decided that there are so many issues with restoring found sets and sort orders that trying to add this would destroy the simplicity of BrowserNav. I am considering if a separate module that would work co-operatively with BrowserNav is the way to go. (Jan 2019)